Tuesday, January 14, 2014

a long walk at the end of 2013.

During the Holidays the city becomes fairly quiet and it is one of the favorite times to go on long solo walks. I wanted to share these few fotos before I forget, and before another year goes by.
a long walk on the northside.

The weather lately has been unreal, was extremely nice for the Holidays and well, no complaints there.
I also don't know any better.
I have been attached at the hip with the Pacific ocean my whole life. This is just quite strange. It has been a record dry year and we have not seen any rain. I miss the rain. More than a few years ago when I was about to finish my degree, it rained for 38 or 40 days straight between Jan-March. I remember it quite clearly because for the last few days I just never wore dry clothes. Would have been more effective to invest in good bike fenders and rain gear, but being in college, in love with life and somewhat careless was perfect and amazing.

Anyways.
The weekend before the last of last year, I had brunch with Dallas in North Beach. Then stopped at Citizen Chain to catch up with the guys and later waited for the bus up the street for about 2 seconds. Then decided to just keep walking, thought it would be a great little hike up Fort Mason from North Beach until I got tired or hungry again.

I started by getting to the Aquatic park, and then hiking up towards Fort Mason.
a long walk on the northside.
After observing the Bay for a bit alongside a tourist, he asked if I could take his picture (he seemed to be traveling alone) and handed his phone and thanked me for the snap. So refreshing and cute. He smiled and parted ways the opposite direction.
I stopped to see this gizmo window I hadn't seen before. I usually do this walk with my mom, and don't recall seeing it before. Well that is one bitch of a little hill, so I took my sweet time and checked out this piece of really cool Sky Diary informative window/kiosk.
a long walk on the northside.
a long walk on the northside.
a long walk on the northside.
You can turn the knobs and that shows you each blue panel like a quilt thru the window. So cool.
a long walk on the northside.
Checking out the East bay. You can see our shiny new Bay bridge about 2/3 to the right. And that red/white ship is the historic 1886 Balclutha.

a long walk on the northside.
I took a little break, was a tad out of breath… There was a mob of all-teenagers BMXers zooming down the hill.

a long walk on the northside.
Around Fort Mason. I thought the winter Renegade fair would be happening, but turns out it happened in the Concourse center in the south of market/Potrero bound.
a long walk on the northside.
A fellow observant of the natural moments.
a long walk on the northside.
Birds y boats.
a long walk on the northside.
Frosty the yacht man.

And then down westbound on Crissy Field where I got to people watch, dodge running bunnies and luckily got to get a coffee at the Dynamo Donuts kiosk before they closed for the day. I love sitting in this corner to observe people, big cargo ships and the sun go by. It is magnificently peaceful.

a long walk on the northside.
I see you.

a long walk on the northside.
Crissy Field.
a long walk on the northside.
Crissy Field.


Here is a video:


I do this regularly in various points of the city. Long walks, easy thoughts, smile at trees, drink some coffee, absorb some sunlight – or misty fog. It is my own little reminder and constant observation that we humans, are small.

xxomeli


8 comments:

  1. Love these photos. A couple of the BWs remind me of photos from the 1940s. Very charming post
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reminding myself what we can see on foot as opposed to a bike. I walked to work yesterday and relished the little treasures on every block!

    Bonne Année !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always enjoy your photos, Meli, and your impressions of the city and sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, a long walk on a fine day to discover what's there and to be in it all. With coffee. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous day captured, I'm longing for a walking journey like that now!

    The Sky Diary creates this kind of art... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNln_me-XjI&list=FLcE2W7wWb7UTCM58ixQzlng&feature=share&index=16 So mesmerizing!

    Thank you meli! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh,Meli. It was the freighter approaching the bridge that caught my eye. I know exactly what they would be thinking.A break from the routine, a few hours ashore for a beer and a phone call home. Thirty plus years of my life was spent doing the exact same thing.95% boredom 5% excitement. Almost wish I was back there again,particularly as I never sailed into San Francisco. Beautiful images,as always. They really should give you the key to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff as always. Time for a walk.

    ReplyDelete

with coffee in hand, sincere thanks for your readership ×