Monday, July 5, 2010

Women Who Bike: May

BIKE NOPA & Bikes and The City have spun out a collaborative bike series, Women Who Bike. We have almost concluded our series, but please check both our blogs for the experiences, stories, and ideas that women who bike the city want to share with you.
Let us know your thoughts and leave comments for the featured riders!
IMG_1252
Photo provided via May – By hotMARK™ on flickr
IMG_9868
Photo provided via May – By hotMARK™ on flickr

+ + + + + + + + + + +
Women Who Bike: May

How would you characterize your bicycling style?
M. I'd say my riding style is all over the place. Sometimes I like to ride fast, sometimes slow. Usually you'll find me riding at "touring" pace though so I can take in my surroundings. I do try to be cautious, mainly because I know it can be hard to see a cyclist when you're driving, so I never assume drivers are going to see me.

Something basic: how often do you bike and what for?
M. I bike just about everyday. I use my bike for transportation to get around the city. It's faster than taking the bus and I usually arrive at my destination in a much better mood if I don't have to look for parking. I also bike to explore new places - I LOVE riding through small towns I've never visited before, finding quiet roads with no traffic, climbing hills to take in the view, and riding down swoopy dirt or rocky trails. In the summer and fall I do mountain bike and cyclocross races with the Sheila Moon team. They're fun and make me go faster than I normally would.

Photo provided via May

What could be done in SF to encourage more women, including teens and younger, to bike?
M. I think what you're doing with your blog is super encouraging! More green painted bike lanes in the city would help as well.

How many of your best dates/friendships started with biking?
M. A lot of my good friends are people I met through biking.

Other little things:
- My favorite meal after a long ride (or in between) is:

M. ice cream

- The best way to hydrate in between rides is:
M. I usually drink water. I can't drink anything with caffeine in it when I ride because it turns me into the incredible peeing machine

- A personal item I must have or bring while riding my bike
M. Things to fix a flat tire. (i.e. tube, tire levers, pump, patch kit). I get a flat (or help someone else with a flat) about once a month....and usually I'm out in the middle of nowhere when it happens.

My message to women who want to try biking:
M. I'd say get a bike you really like and are comfortable on. If riding in traffic scares you, you can start by riding in places with less traffic (there are lots of nice roads and trails with almost no cars). Get a book on bike rides and trails in the Bay Area and do them all! The SFBC is also a great resource.
And here are some perhaps already posted pictures of May previously here on the blog, but with that super kilowatt smile, can't help but to share them once again!
hi may!
May
matthew + may +their buddy
may wins burning man tix!

It has been a pleasure to ride with May for a couple of years on butterlap, which takes place every Wednesday evening. Her road bike might be one of the smallest out there, but May will leave you in the dust riding those crazy hills as if it is a small flat stroll in the park. Fierce!
Ride on my beautiful rider!!

+ + + + + + + + + +
Gracias May!!

Don't forget to check out BIKE NOPA for more Women Who Bike profiles.
**If you or someone you know would like to participate email me at bikesandthecity +at+ gmail**
For women in the NOPA area, contact Michael at BIKE NOPA

See previous Bikes & The City profiles here:
Women Who Bike Series

2 comments:

with coffee in hand, sincere thanks for your readership ×