Monday, May 3, 2010

New Series, New Collaboration: Women Who Bike

Today BIKE NOPA & Bikes And The City spin out a new collaborative bike series, Women Who Bike. Each Monday and Wednesday we will feature San Francisco women and their bicycles. Check both our blogs for the experiences, stories, and ideas that women who bike the city want to share with you.
Let us know your thoughts and leave comments for the featured riders.


Amber takes off

+ + + + + + + + + + +
Women Who Bike: Amber

How would you characterize your bicycling style? assertive, carefree, cautious, competitive, law abiding, slow and steady
Definitely assertive, even when Im feeling carefree. And mostly law abiding but when no one is coming and the light is red...

Something basic: how often do you bike and what for?
I bike somewhere at least once a day-- to work. Running errands. Getting around in general. I like to avoid using the car whenever possible and i like to bike as often as possible.

What could be done in SF to encourage more women, including teens and younger, to bike?
More ladies in the bike lane encourages other on-the-fence ladies to join. Maybe we should have lady bike gangs? Meetups for fierce females on two wheels? More photos more blogs and more women talking about their love for bikes.

How many of your best dates/friendships started with biking?
I don't know how many start with biking, but all of them end up involving biking at some point.

I surprise people when I bike by -
I surprise people when I bike by because I fly past with almost no sound and often while wearing a skirt.

My message to women who want to try biking:
My message to women who want to try biking: Girls on bikes are sooo hot-- you'll feel sexy, bad ass and green all at once.
+ + + + + + + + + +

Gracias Amber!!

Don't forget to check out BIKE NOPA for more Women Who Bike profiles.
Women who bike: Take the Writing Women Back into Bicycling survey online by May 15th. More than 7300 women already have. Survey conducted by the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP). See survey here: link

11 comments:

  1. I live in a wet hilly town in the north of england & cycle to commute mainly, but for fun too. I'd say 99% of the cyclists I come across are men, looking serious & like they're about to enter the Tour de France.
    When I started cycling I was worried that I'd be rubbish due to the hills mainly. I'm not fantastically sporty or a health freak like all the guys I pass seem to be.
    But once I got over the initial worries (totally unfounded, I can cycle up hills, albeit slowly), I now cycle chic with a smile on my face & hopefully other women who see me might think 'hey she looks like she's actually having fun, I might give that a go'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your blog and the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great story, Georgina. I like the observation "like all the guys I pass seem to be."

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing georgina! what are those guys ina rush for?! dont they know how to slow down and observer like you! ;D
    great having you & welcome <3

    Ray/ why many thanks!
    i spy a black cat in your blog - is that rite!! :DDDD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah they're really missing out rushing around. I live in some stunning hilly country- with glorious views. Riding from my Mums to home I have a twenty minute freewheel downhill- nothing nicer than sitting up, stretching out & taking in the views!
    thanks for the welcome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome new collaboration indeedy! I love the little complicit smile shared between two (or more!) women at a stop light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! Sexy and badass, indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice piece!

    I wanted to let you know that my appreciation of you and all the other San Fran biking ladies has quadruple after spending some time this weekend up in your beautiful town. Hay las hills! Hay the many coches! Yes to the many fearless ladies riding cool bicis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SF biking ladies are sooo cute! Im on the Polk route often. We need a bar/cafe that has bike parking a la Zeitgeist in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  10. tamagosan/ many thanks t!

    dottie - <3 heartssssss

    la chica SR/ muchas thanks my luvly!! and i am sooo lucky to know most, if not all of them! talk about girl power, we are quite a crazy cookie bunch :D
    those pinches hills, trust me they never get old, but you just learn to outsmart them - yanoe wattimsayinnnnn ;-)
    tssssss, well, thanks so much and great to have you stop by!! saludos

    sean/ well, there might not be a huge patio with pink elephants or burgers, but hemlock is a pretty rad spot for happy hour. they are working on more bike racks, but a nice stop. thx for the note +see ya around :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Meli,

    I was wondering how do you approach these women about doing a profile of them? I see lotso Latina and Asian women doing short runs around town and wanted to approach them for my bike blog. But I'm a little shy and I do tend to be a bit intimidating...so was hoping for some tips. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

with coffee in hand, sincere thanks for your readership ×