Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Women Who Bike: Karen

BIKE NOPA & Bikes And The City have spun out a new collaborative bike series, Women Who Bike. Each Monday and Wednesday we will feature San Francisco women and their bicycles. Check both our blogs for the experiences, stories, and ideas that women who bike the city want to share with you.
Let us know your thoughts and leave comments for the featured riders.
Best helmet cover
+ + + + + + + + + + +
Women Who Bike: Karen

How would you characterize your bicycling style?

K. Assertive and noisy.

waaaaaaaaaa

Something basic: how often do you bike and what for?
K. I ride everyday to work. I really like the idea of [someone else's] "Ride to Life". Bicycling is the cheapest and healthiest way to get around.

What could be done in SF to encourage more women, including teens and younger, to bike?
K. Continued street infrastructure improvements and more separated bike lanes.

How many of your best dates/friendships started with biking?
K. Many! Cyclists are generally a friendly bunch given our mutual vulnerability in traffic.

I surprise people when I bike by (or with) -
K. with my furry helmet [a concession to vanity/whimsy/safety] and my obnoxious bike-bell.

tater trolls

Other little things:
My favorite meal after a long ride (or in between) is:
K. a cheeseburger

The best way to hydrate in between rides is: (coffee, beer, tea
etc.)
K. A personal item I must have or bring while riding my bike

My message to women who want to try biking:
K. Don't be intimidated; there is a style/speed of cycling for everyone.
I met Karen through mutual friends and by joining our mid-week ride, butterlap. Between our not-so secret love for Lady Gaga's lyrics while riding around Sea Cliff and Cliff house, we have tons of fun eating tater tots, beers and riding every angle around our beautiful city's perimeter.

+ + + + + + + + + +
Gracias Karen!!

Don't forget to check out BIKE NOPA for more Women Who Bike profiles.
Women who bike: Take the Writing Women Back into Bicycling survey online by May 15th. More than 7300 women already have. Survey conducted by the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP). See survey here: link

If you or someone you know would like to participate email me at bikesandthecity +at+ gmail
For women in the NOPA area, contact Michael at BIKE NOPA
-
See previous Bikes & The City profiles here:
Women Who Bike Series

3 comments:

  1. Karen seems like a total blast. Nice helmet. Reminds me that I need to make a mull-met. Or a Flock-of-Seagulls-met.

    ReplyDelete

with coffee in hand, sincere thanks for your readership ×