Monday, June 14, 2010

Women Who Bike: Amanda

BIKE NOPA & Bikes and The City have spun out a new collaborative bike series, Women Who Bike. Each Monday and Wednesday, we will feature San Francisco women and their bicycles. Check both our blogs for the experiences, stories, and ideas that women who bike the city want to share with you.
Let us know your thoughts and leave comments for the featured riders!
smiles
bike pose

+ + + + + + + + + + +
Women Who Bike: Amanda
How would you characterize your bicycling style?
A. assertive (not aggressive) and communicative. i am very comfortable taking the lane and riding car speed in traffic (which isn't all that fast in the city). many drivers seem to find proper hand signals confusing, so i do a lot of waving and pointing.

Something basic: how often do you bike and what for?
A. every day. unless i'm walking, i'm riding: running errands, meandering around town, going camping, or hoping no one sees me in full lycra as i cross the bridge to marin. of course rolling on pavement doesn't compare to my one true cycling love: mountain biking. can't get enough!

What could be done in SF to encourage more women, including teens and younger, to bike?
A. i told my teenage sister that riding her bike would get her away from mom and make her legs look hot...
Amanda
How many of your best dates/friendships started with biking?
A. most of my friendships, almost all of my dates. i met the rad guy i'm currently seeing in durango, colorado; we'd both traveled there to race (or in my case, attempt to finish) the single speed (mtb) world championship. we were staying in the same muddy backyard. lucky me, my cute neighbor for the week was also from my city...

I surprise people when I bike by (or with) -
A. my messenger bag filled beyond capacity and occupying more cubic inches than i do.
or a tall boy (tecate or high life) in my back jersey pocket: from the front i look might like a roadie but from behind you know i'm a dirtbag!
Red light. Red armwarmers

Other little things:
- My favorite meal after a long ride (or in between) is:

A. pizza

- The best way to hydrate in between rides is:
A. beer at the top of a climb or margaritas on my roof

- A personal item I must have or bring while riding my bike
A. nothing, i bring as little as possible
3rd st.
3rd st.
do you see them?
Amanda in the middle

My message to women who want to try biking:
A. it's not as hard as it looks. find a buddy and start with a slow cruise through the park to the beach. stay off van ness. and don't be scared, those cavemen yelling at you probably don't wanna run you over, they're just trying to flirt.
I first met Amanda while riding the bike rides she often takes full on lead and route planning for, Pushbike's Ladies Only ride. You can find her around the city and riding longer distances down the peninsula, East Bay and Marin. And racing all over the place. Ride on hottie!!

+ + + + + + + + + +
Gracias Manda!!

Don't forget to check out BIKE NOPA for more Women Who Bike profiles.
Women who bike: Take the Writing Women Back into Bicycling survey online by May 15th. More than 7300 women already have. Survey conducted by the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP). See survey here: link

If you or someone you know would like to participate email me at bikesandthecity +at+ gmail
For women in the NOPA area, contact Michael at BIKE NOPA

See previous Bikes & The City profiles here:
Women Who Bike Series
-
Like all photographs posted in this blog: ©Photos taken by meligrosa
unless otherwise stated and if so, always credited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

with coffee in hand, sincere thanks for your readership ×